Oracle Enterprise Manager is getting highly popular so we see more and more books about it. Recently, Packt published a new book titled “Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Administration Cookbook“. It is a well-written book which provides over 50 practical recipes to install, configure, upgrade Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control and monitor your Oracle setup using Oracle Enterprise Manager.
The authors of the book (Dhananjay Papde, Tushar Nath and Vipul Patel) are experienced on Oracle Fusion Middleware, so you’ll also be able to find the integration of Oracle Fusion Middleware products such as Oracle Business Intelligence, Oracle GoldenGate, Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher and Oracle WebLogic. The book also covers recipes on Incident and Problem Management using iPhone or iPad, and there are recipes for creating and cloning databases and creating templates.
List of the chapters:
- Prerequisites of OEM 12c Installation: This chapter covers hardware and OS requirements (user and groups, packages, kernel parameters), installing the Oracle 11gR2 RDBMS software and creating OEM repository database.
- Installation of OEM 12c: You will see how to install Enterprise Manager System with Simple and Advanced configuration options. This chapter also covers various Agent deployment methods.
- Upgrade to OEM 12c: If you want to upgrade your OEM 10g/11g to OEM 12c, this chapter shows how to upgrade using the 1-system and the 2-system upgrade approach.
- Configuring OEM 12c: Automatic discovery, promoting discovered targets, adding host (and non-hosts) targets manually, configuring a software Library are shown in this chapter.
- Managing Oracle Database Using OEM 12c: This chapter explains how to configure a database target, create database templates and creating Oracle Database clones and provisioning Oracle Database software.
- Managing Database Performance Using OEM 12c: This chapter shows how to use Active Session History Analytics, the Real-Time ADDM and compare period reports.
- Middleware Management Using OEM 12c: You can find the required information to manage Oracle Business Intelligence, Oracle GoldenGate and Weblogic Server targets using Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.
- Incident and Problem Management Using an iDevice: This chapter explains how to set up OEM12c and use incident management on an iDevice (iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad).
In ebook PDF version, the screen images are blur. I think Packt can fix this if you contact them. I prefer to read the books on ipad, and the screen images are readable in epub (ipad) version. On the other hand, all steps are detailed so it’s easy to follow the instructions and complete the tasks.
I recommend all Enterprise Manager users to buy “Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Administration Cookbook“.