Some readers commented that, after they add JDBC driver for Microsoft SQL Server to their SQL Developer, the “New Connection” window (of SQL Developer) doesn’t open at all. I have downloaded the latest Java (1.6), SQL Developer and added jTDS driver then I have the same problem. I tried to debug the problem with my limited Java knowledge and I think there’s an incompatibility between jTDS and Java 1.6.

Oracle recommends to use Java 1.6 for SQL Developer so instead of trying Java 1.7, I tried to find the latest compatible version of jTDS and luckily I found it on my first try. So to fix the problem, all you need is to download and use 1.2.7 version of jTDS: jtds-1.2.7-dist.zip

Then you’ll be able to connect to Ms SQL Server or Sybase with your Oracle SQL Developer. For more information about using SQL Developer with Ms SQL Server and MySQL, please read my related blog post.

21 Responses to “Oracle SQL Developer and jTDS Incompatibility”

1. We only support v1.2 of the jTDS driver. What version were you and your readers having problems with?

• Gokhan Atil says:

Jeff, I don’t know which version they use but when you visit jTDS page, latest one is 1.3. So people probably tries to use 1.3 version and it doesn’t work with SQL Developer. I downloaded source codes and tried to compile jTDS under Java 1.6 but it didn’t work. In my tests, I see that 1.2.7 works fine with SQL Developer.

2. The required drivers are are listed here for future reference.

The Check for Updates process in SQL Developer will also pull the 1.2 version driver.

3. Ruben Rojas says:

Excellent. This was the precise fix for me. Thank you.

4. This was a nice fix. Ty. i have nothing to do today so i was tryning this out.

5. Sathish says:

Awesome! Thanks Gokhan.

6. Thank you — excellent work. I have Sqldeveloper3.2.20.09 (.87) working with jtds 1.3.0-dist.

7. I wish this page came up higher on the Google search results. Most of blogs are old and were written before 1.3 came out and thus don’t know that the latest version doesn’t work. Lots of wasted time…. Luckily, 1.2.x is up and running for me now.

8. Thank you very much Gokhan. I have been fighting with this all afternoon. I should have known to check with GA first !!

9. Alexander says:

Real help! Thanks.
    1.2.7 version of jTDS works with SqlDev 3.2.20.
    BTW Microsoft JDBC did not work with SqlDev 3.0.04 and Java 1.7, but it does with SqlDev 3.2.20.

10. Thanks a ton Gokhan.I have OSD 3.1.07 and it worked with Java 1.2.7

11. Can you confirm if Oracle SQL Developer can be used to connect to Sybase IQ. Heard from someone that you can connect only to Sybase ASE. Is that correct ?

12. thanks a lot! fixed. this drove me crazy.

13. Thank you for this update. Saved a bunch of time!

14. Leandro says:

Thank you!!!!

15. senthil kumar says:

Hi dear, please assist me, iam facing problem unable to connect the Mssql server via sql dveloper tool , i tried to copied the jTDS but unabel to connect the mssql server uisng sql developer version 3.2.20

16. thank u…….

17. Thanks a bunch! Works like a charm

18. borjana says:

Thank you very much, Gokhan – you help me a lot :)