In my opinion, Enterprise Manager Cloud Control server should be able to connect My Oracle Support. You may use a proxy if you don’t want it to have a direct connection. Sometimes, security policies do not allow your Cloud Control server connect internet in any way. In this case, you can use it in offline mode, and still can use self-update and patch management features.

First of all, you need to activate “offline” mode. Enterprise Manager Cloud Control will not switch to offline mode when it can connect to My Oracle Support. You need to switch it manually. Click “offline patching” under the “provisioning & patching” menu. Select “offline” for connection mode, and click “apply” button.

To be able to use self-update features (in online or offline mode), you need to set “software library”. Click “software library” under the “provisioning & patching” menu. Click the plus button and chose a directory to store all files for patching and deploying.

Click “setup”, and then “extensibility” and click to “Self Update”, you’ll see that we’re in offline mode, click “check updates”. Enterprise Manager will show you the URL of the updates catalog. Download it (of course you need MOS credentials) on a PC which is connected to internet, and transfer it to your Cloud Control Server.

We’ll use “emcli” tool to import the catalog, good thing is, emcli tool is already installed on Enterprise Manager Cloud Control server, but I didn’t see it in documents. So I’ll describe what you need to do to install emcli tool to (any server):

1. Download and install latest Java 1.6.x
  2. Download emclikit.jar https://emcc_host:emcc_port/em/console/emcli/download
  3. Install it: java -jar emclikit.jar client -install_dir=/oracle/emcli
  4. Configure it: /oracle/emcli/emcli setup -url=https://emcc_host:emcc_port/em/ -username=SYSMAN

I’ll write more about it in future, and give detailed samples but now let’s focus on adding new agents. As I said, I’ll use the emcli of the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control and it’s located it $OMS_HOME/oms/bin/emcli

To be able to use emcli of EMCC, you need to login and then import the catalog:

As you may see, I copied the file which I downloaded (p9348486_112000_Generic.zip) to /home/oracle. Now let’s check the self-update again.

So we’re still offline but we have refreshed our catalog. Now let’s download an agent. Click agents.

Select an agent (I selected the agent for Solaris x86), then click “download”. Enterprise Manager will show the URL of the agent. Download the file on another PC and transfer the zip file to the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control server.

Let’s import the agent software:

Now let’s check again the self-update page. As we see the new agent is downloaded. Click “apply” to make it ready for deployment. A background job will be created, and after a few seconds, you’ll see that its status will change to “applied” (refresh page). When it’s applied, you can start deploying it.

40 Responses to “How to Download New Agent Software for Oracle Cloud Control 12c in Offline Mode”

1. Petter says:

Thanks a lot. Looks like you saved my day :-)

We have OMS and repository on an windows server, and wanted to install a fresh 12c agent on our ODA nodes. We are offline with our servers. But it was really hard to find out how. But your instructins was exactely what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

• Gokhan Atil says:

Peter, you are welcome. I’m glad to hear that it helps. :)

• Danilo says:

I really appreciate all your posts.
      You are fast, direct and competent.
      I’m new to 12c but, so far, I have found all answers to my problem with configuration on you blog.

Many thanks.

• Gokhan Atil says:

Danilo, you are welcome! I’m happy to hear that you enjoy my blog.

2. First time with 12c (installing on W2K8R2 took a long time). Clear, concise, and accurate. The documentation people at Oracle could learn a lot from you: thank you.

3. Tesekkurler Gokhan, guide’dan daha açıklayıcı anlatmışsın :)

4. Anjan Shrestha says:

Hello,
    I have tried according to the blog but in my case there is a miss in some thing

[oracle@oracle2 install]$ emcli setup -url=https://oracle2.datacenter2.d2hawkeye.net:7801/em/ -username=SYSMAN
    Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Release 2.
    Copyright (c) 1996, 2012 Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Enter password

Emcli setup successful—> Which shows setup is successful
    [oracle@oracle2 install]$ emcli login -username=SYSMAN Error: Some required configuration is missing, corrupt, inaccessible, or insecure (access permissions are too liberal).
    Resolve the problem and run setup.—>> but when i try to login there problem.

Please Help in this case.

Regards,
    Anjan

5. Paulo Souto says:

Hello Gokhan,

Thank you! Your post help me a lot.

Best regards,

Paulo Souto
    from Brazil

6. Ellerine sağlık… Çok yardımcı oldu..

Teşekkürler…

7. Thanks Gokhan Atil.

Great post with screenshots. It was extremely helpful.

8. You rock..
    thanks for making life easier.

9. Michaelzhang says:

Thanks a lot, it help me. thanks.

10. That’s nice but for most companies not applicable.
    Do someone know – what happens with the easy to use
    agentDownload method and in my case the autodiscovery of
    further host services (database…..) doesn’ t work !!

If someone knows an similar approach as it was with agentDownload let me know.
    All other cost too much time.

Ng, Jochen

• Gokhan Atil says:

Jochen, after you install the agent, you need to add non-host Targets manually, or you can set up auto-discovery but it’s for detecting new targets on the host. What do you mean by auto-discovery doesn’t work?

11. hello,

i install 12cR2 on my local system .but when i start deploying agent it shows an eror in intilization process in sshd_config credialas error. can you lease help me with this.

Thankyou,
    deepthi

• Gokhan Atil says:

Deepthi

Be sure that SSH runs on both OMS and target server and you enter correct credentials (login/password). You may also try to remove previously defined “named” credentials and re-create them and try to deploy agent.

12. Bob Lalone says:

In the case of where we already have 10g Grid Control with 11g agents deployed on all of our Windows database servers, how does OEM 12c recognize those agents and hosts? I’ve attempted to redirect the 11g agent to the OEM 12c, but it doesn’t like the port# and can’t authenicate. Also, OEM 12c only installed with 1 agent software selection (Windows 64bit) in the Extensibility, self-update. We have all the other agent software (11g & 10g windows 32 bit) available, but can’t deploy them via GUI. Is there a way to use emcli to update the catalog to use older versions of the agent?

• Gokhan Atil says:

Oracle Management Service 12c can only communicate with the EM12c agents, so you need to deploy 12c agents to your systems. You can use self-update to download windows 32bit agent for OEM 12c.

13. Ömer Arslan says:

Çok teşekkürler.

14. Hi, can you give please the URL for donwload the agent LINUXx86????

Thanks!!!!!

15. Thanks Gokhan

The document was quite good for the 12c cloud beginners like me.It saved a lot of time.

The Blog is quite good and interesting as well.

16. Aleksandar says:

Could you please tell me how to deploy Agent software version 12.1.0.1 via OEM 12.1.0.3 console? Each time when I try to manually add target host I can only use  Agent software version 12.1.0.3.

17. Rik Brouwers says:

Brilliant explanation, straight forward.

Should be on Metalink, it’s better than the stuff you can find there…

18. Mohammed says:

Thanks, this is very helpfull

19. Excellant blog!!! my company policy does not allow internet connection from the linux machine I used to install 12c. Would I still be able to download the agent software using the offline method.

20. Thank you for the clear explanation and detailed steps involved in downloading the agent software for a different platform other than the OMS platform.
    Even Oracle documentation is not this clear. Thanks

21. Hi,

Thanks for the update, I could download the patch offline. The Oracle doc is not clear on this.

I have 2 servers with OMS and Repository. i am confused what ports need to be opened from the source  and targets (default) so that I can start monitoring my databases ?

I am assuming the target will connect to the OMS servers only and not to the repository.

Appreciate your input in this regard.

Thanks

Vinit

22. nicolas says:

hello,

great explanation i would enjoy to try your method, but, like Pedro, i am facing an issue : the link given by OEM itself to download the management agent for linux x86 does not work and inside the oracle website, i’m unable to find it ( for OEM 12.1.0.1 )

The only thing i was able to download is a huge package with 3 zip files that seems to be a complete distribution of OEM, but no agent inside.

So if you could give a link or a pice of help to get this agent, i would really appreciate

Regards

23. Fernando says:

Nice Work.

24. Hi master,

I just install oem 12c release 4. but there is no agent update platform. Only linux x86_64 (oem12c host) there.

please advice.

terima kasih

• Gokhan Atil says:

Hi, have you tried to download new versions for your installed agents? By the way, “Upgrade agents” is located under “manage cloud control” in setup menu.

25. Chris says:

Hello!
    I make first call using emcli as root and I’m getting:
    Resolve the problem and run setup.”
    error as ORACLE user.

I have the same problem as user13475271 (https://community.oracle.com/thread/2588026).
    Could help me to locate root certificate created during the emcli setup call? How to delete it?
    Regards!

• how do i get over this problem on windows 64 bit server. i am unable to setup emcli
      e (access permissions are too liberal).
      Resolve the problem and run setup.

26. erkan ülgey says:

Teşekkürler Gökhan Bey.

27. Hi Gokhan,

I am facing another issue here. Due to some issues Oracle support advised to deintall & Install agent on one of our Microsoft SQL Database Servers. I have performed de-installation and while trying to add the target manually i am getting an Error

“Unable to proceed because you have selected a platform for which Agent software is not available on the OMS. Go to Setup > Extensibility > Self Update and download the Agent software for the selected platform, and then, return to this wizard to continue with the installation.”

I have performed the Self update option and could see the agent version as applied. Still while trying to add target and when i select windows 64 bit platform i am getting the same error.

Do you have any idea on this.
    ??

Thanks & Regards,
    fazil S

Revision Actions Status OS Platform Version Administrator Start Time Elapsed Time(Sec)
    0 Apply Succeeded Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit) 12.1.0.4.0 SYSMAN Jul 29, 2014 3:14:05 PM CDT 0.06
    0 Download Succeeded Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit) 12.1.0.4.0 SYSMAN Jul 24, 2014 10:17:07 AM CDT 50.83
    0 Available Succeeded Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit) 12.1.0.4.0 SYSMAN Jul 24, 2014 10:00:09 AM CDT