Oracle today announced availability of Oracle Solaris 11. Here are some key points about Oracle Solaris 11:
- Oracle Solaris Zones provides virtualization with lower overhead than VMware. New integrated network virtualization allows you to create data center topologies within a single OS instance with bandwidth control and monitoring.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center provides enterprise wide, centralized control over hardware, OS and virtualization resources for Solaris 11, and it’s “included” in systems support (not requires an extra license).
- Oracle Solaris 11 is “secure by default”, it locks down services from first install and provides role-based root access.
- Oracle Solaris ZFS provides flash-enabled tiered storage pools, encryption and the scalability to store unlimited amounts of data. With Oracle Solaris ZFS deduplication, storage requirements in virtualized environments can be reduced by 10x.
- Oracle Solaris and Oracle software applications (such as Oracle Database 11g, Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g) are designed and tested together to provide faster fail-over, reliability and better application performance.
Here are some useful links about Solaris 11:
You can download Solaris 11 from http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/solaris11/overview/index.html
Oracle Solaris 11 Information Library: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/index.html
Transitioning From Solaris 10 to Solaris 11: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/index.html
Taking Your First Steps with Oracle Solaris 11: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/o11-112-s11-first-steps-524819.html